I finished George RR Martin's "A Dance with Dragons" early in June and haven't finished a book since then. ADWT was, to use a lame adjective as it was mean to be used, epic. The plot was deep, contorted, twisted, violent, suspenseful, and truly well-written. But it is only a good read because I read the other 5 previous books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.
How can I find time to read (and WRITE) when I am busy hiking, biking, babysitting, working, and crafting? Maybe Sundays will be my 'reading' day. I believe reading is very important - not just for writers, but for all children and adults. It builds your vocabulary, it stretches your imagination, it makes you think, and it gives you a break from the stresses of everyday life. And, am I the only one that wants to reread Harry Potter for the 8th time? Maybe I'm a nerd. I am actually considering rereading all of A Song of Ice and Fire - it's THAT good.
I just started reading a book that was recommended to me, "Whistling in the Dark" by Lesley Kagen. It's a book set in 1959 Milwaukee about two young girls who have to fend for themselves among the drama of a serial killer in their neighborhood.
The book hits close to home because, I was told, it reminds Michael's grandmother of her childhood and of how she was abandoned by her father and left to her own defenses. The book is very well-written and realistic. The dialect of the two young girls is accurate and they are sweet and innocent but very intelligent. I haven't been reading the book as quickly as I normally would read, but I am enjoying it at my slow pace.
Happy Reading!
What are you reading this summer?
Don't forget to read my other blog - I just reviewed Aaron Rodger's and Ryan Braun's new restaurant in Brookfield.
No comments:
Post a Comment