Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Me, a name I call myself

I have been listening to a lot of Julie Andrews (a la Sound of Music) lately. Did you know Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies? And did you know I am in Germany? And did you know that Maria Von Trapp lived in Austria and they speak German in Austria? Did you make the connection yet?

I thought living alone in Europe (not technically "alone") would bring out some part of me that I didn't know existed. I thought I'd be surprised by my adventurous alter-ego, or my quiet and calm lost European demeanor. But, what I realized (so far), and to my somewhat delight, is that I am quite the same in Europe as I am in the United States. I am still hilarious (you know it's true!), I am still hardworking (vacuuming and mopping almost everyday and homemade dinners on the table at 6!), I am still very sensitive, I still like to read/watch movies/be with people, and I am still maintaining a (not so strict) workout regiment. So, I basically am the same person, except in Germany. You don't look surprised.

But maybe you don't understand. I thought perhaps being away from home I would crumble and fall under the weight of "foreign" food/language/customs, or that I would rejoice and exalt in my new temporary life and become some weird wanderlust pirate. It hasn't happened yet. And, I don't know if I want that to happen. I think I'm beginning to like myself. I think I am beginning to like my life back home (yes, even the unglamorous barista gig). Where had all the angst and discontent come from?

What I have figured out is that I am quiet, a little bit shy around German speaking children, and that I am a thinker. I like to think of "what ifs" and "how come" and "maybe this" or "maybe that". This is all very valuable information, right? Hello? Bueller?

Anyway, I have been putting off writing new poetry do to my lame excuse as "writer's block". Hello, Shannon, it is not "writer's block" it is "writer's laziness". And it must end.

And here are some pictures to make reading this post worthwhile.

[gallery]

I spent the afternoon in Durlach, a medieval town outside of Karlsruhe. This tower was part of a military fort and I climbed all the way to the top. If anything, this trip will help me get over my fear of heights. Did I tell you about the church tower I climbed to the top of in Heidelberg? The steps were narrow, windy, and steep! But I survived.

1 comment:

  1. You know how much I LOVE The Sound of Music too! If you do get to Salzburg, take the Sound of Music tour - so fun! None of your "revelations" in the post surprises me; they only confirm how much you are like me! Keep singing "I have confidence" :)

    Bisous! M...

    ReplyDelete