Picture this - you are standing in the middle of a crowd of trees, their arms waving gently above your head as if moving in closer and closer to hug you, to embrace you. You can feel the cool breath from their leaves on your sweaty brow. Tall grass sits next to you and the eager eyes of Susans and Daisies blink at you as if winking. As if they know. And you are that happy fresh-faced young woman, standing still as the living forest encompasses you. And you are with that young man, your best friend, who knows those trees, those wild grasses, those wide-eyed flowers. He knows what clean air feels like dancing inside lungs. He knows what it means when your arms open wide like the wings of a sparrow and your face lifts up to the sun - he knows you are happy.
Now imagine this - your eyes open and there are the trees, and the flowers, and the tiny charming bugs, and there he is - your best - down on one knee. He has a question to ask you. Right there, in the middle of that stirring forest, each breath of wind a small whisper of joy, your best friend becomes your husband-to-be. The wind feels cooler and stronger against your back and the sunshine looks like flecks of gold in his red hair. You are crying and he knows you are happy.
Michael and I got engaged August 12, 2013 at Lapham Peak. Those trees, those flowers, and those trails have seen the progression of our relationship. Lapham Peak is one of the places Michael and I really got to know each other. We spent hours of uninterrupted time walking through the trees and grasses talking or being silent together. We bonded over our mutual love for the outdoors. Lapham Peak is where Michael learned about my fear of heights (when he forced me to climb the weather tower), and where I first saw his artistic and sensitive side. Even though I am the self-proclaimed "poet", I do think Michael has a poet's heart.
Such a lovely proposal, S...! I'm so happy for you! E and I had a similar day in Peninsula State Park on our first date. I, too, was coerced to climb the observation tower, in spite of my fear. I will forever treasure that view from the top and that feeling of excitement, exhilaration, and contentment. My wish for you is that you will always feel this way together. XO, M...
ReplyDelete