Do I regret getting a BA in creative writing? Do I think I wasted my time and money for a degree that has very few career opportunities?
No, no, and no.
In a world that has been ruined by the internet, anyone can be a writer. Anyone can publish their jibber jabber for the whole world to read. In a world where people are famous for literally no reason other than they have huge asses or a baby named North, I am just a small literary soldier.
I am a soldier in a revolution to revive the lost arts of handwriting, poetry, literature, snail mail. I am Jo from Little Women with my writer's hat askew on my head, ink staining my lips and fingertips. I am Anne of Greene Gables shamelessly peddling my articles and poems, undeterred by rejection. Even if no one reads my writing or appreciates the meticulous verbiage in my poems, I am still contributing to the preservation of true literary art. I do not claim to be a Hemingway or a Plath, but I am their tiny, quiet predecessor.
Last night I had a group job interview and I was one of three (THREE) women who had degrees in creative writing. We are not shy, we are not apologetic. We are simply the lovers of paper and ink, metaphors and similes, characters and deeper meanings. And I will persevere.
++++++
Lately I have gotten back into painting with watercolors. I made some 'thank you' cards. It's really fun because, even though I am not any good, it's exciting to experiment and create something that you can share with others.


I love the watercolors, Bird! Hook a sister up! You should sell those things.
ReplyDelete